These Pineapple Upside Down Cake Foil Packets are an old-fashioned favorite made easier with a shortcake dessert shell and then prepared into foil packets for a fun camping treat!
Camping fantasy: hike, fish, swim, skip stones, search for the perfect walking stick, star gaze, play flashlight tag, build a campfire, cuddle up and fall asleep listening to crickets.
Camping reality: swat bugs away, search for the first aid kit, wish you had a real bathroom, wake up with a back ache, dream about a shower.
HA. Well, really it’s all of those things.
I think my younger body still wants to go every year. But my older body is like “you’re kidding me, right?”
We always do the typical hot dogs and s’mores, but this year I’m all about foil packet recipes. They’re so easy to pack, prepare, and cook.
I gave this Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipe a trial run. Four times. Obsessed!
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Ingredients
You only need a few simple items:
- Brown sugar
- Unsalted Butter
- Pineapple ring (fresh or canned)
- Maraschino cherries
- Shortcake dessert shell (the kind used for Strawberry Shortcake, usually found near the fresh strawberries) OR a glazed donut would be delish!
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving.
Can I bake them instead of using a grill?
Yep! Just follow the same steps in the recipe card below, but bake in a 450 degrees F oven instead.
Other grilled recipes perfect for camping!
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Video
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Foil Packets
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 whole pineapple ring
- 1 whole maraschino cherry
- 1 whole shortcake dessert shell
- vanilla ice cream for serving , optional
- Tear off a 12×12-inch square of nonstick aluminum foil.
- Mound the brown sugar and butter in the center, followed by the pineapple slice and maraschino cherry. Top with the dessert shell, flat side up.
- Fold in the sides of the foil and seal to form the packet.
- Grill for 12-13 minutes over medium-high heat.
- To serve, flip the cakes over. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.