This Mango Coffee Cake is fluffy and moist with a cracked cinnamon-sugar topping – wonderful with a cup of tea or coffee!
I think the National Mango Board gave away about a thousand mangoes recently, because my online world has been flooded with mango recipes. And that’s not a complaint!
Living in California (which is only one of three states that actually grow mangoes), they are always available. But I’m pretty certain that at least one of the six cultivated varieties are available everywhere, year round. And thank goodness, because I would say mangoes are my kids’ second favorite fruit.
I asked Facebook how they felt about mangoes, and the response was overwhelmingly in favor. So I made all you mango lovers a coffee cake with a cracked cinnamon sugar topping! It’s so good.
If mangoes aren’t your thing, I think pineapple would also work beautifully in this cake. I plan on trying that next!
other cake recipes we love!
Sheet Pan Chocolate Chip Banana Cake
Mango Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter , cut into cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large mango , peeled, seed removed, and chopped small
For the Cinnamon-Sugar Topping
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9x2 inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, the 2 cups sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Using a pastry blender or your hands, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture all at once; using a fork, stir just until moistened. Sprinkle mangoes with a little flour and fold into the batter (this will help them from completely falling to the bottom.)
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread out evenly.
- Combine the 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool and cut into squares. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Reader Questions and Reviews
I’m definitely going to try making this cake, we get the best Mangoes here in Pakistan. Just one question – Its a coffee cake, but I don’t see any coffee in the recipe. Could you please let me know whether coffee essence or instant coffee is used.
Hi Noreen – there’s no coffee (instant or otherwise) used here. The reference to the coffee is due to the cinnamon/sugar topping that is traditionally found on coffee cake. Enjoy!
I love coffee cake, or as my Dad says, “cawwwfee” cake. L O V E .
I love coffee cake, or as my Dad says, “cawwwfee” cake. L O V E . I gotta try this someday. Looks amazing.
This is the perfect dessert for me and my husband because it is a combination of our favorites. He loves coffee and I love mangoes. And since my kids love mangoes too, they’ll love this for sure too. Based on my experience, mangoes always make good ingredients for whatever dessert. Therefore, this makes a very good dessert idea for tomorrow.
I need to make this, asap.. You’re a lifesaver!
Mangoes are pretty much my favorite fruit of all time! Well…those and cherries. But both cost an arm and a leg and a first born child here in NYC. Worth it to make this cake…hmmm. Methinks, yes.
Wow that sounds awesome! Definitely want to give this a try, thanks for sharing :)
This is so fun! What a great idea to use mango!
I looovvve mangoes! A coffee cake that makes me feel like I’m on a tropical vacation…yes, please!
Dang!!! I only have one mango. I think I’ll just eat it and then go buy more for this cake. Mango + Cake = HAPPY.
Yes! I am in love with this, Amy! Mangos and coffee cake! Sign me up!
Off to buy buttermilk……. :)
I would never have thought to add mangoes to coffee cake. Sounds heavenly!
I love mangoes!! I usually eat them straight up or in a smoothie (frozen), but man this coffee cake looks amazing! I need to start baking more :)