These Chocolate Malt Ball Cookies are chewy, chocolatey, and full of whoppers malt ball candies! Make a double batch because they’ll go fast!
We’re big fans of malt flavoring. Besides these Chocolate Malt Ball Cookies, we love these roasted potatoes made with malt vinegar and also this Vanilla Malted Milkshake made with malted milk powder.
These cookies are made with Whoppers candy, which are malted milk balls covered with a chocolatey coating. They always remind me of being kid and going to the movies and also on Halloween, because it seems those were the only two times we ever got them.
If you’ve got leftover Halloween candy or love the taste of malt like we do, make these cookies. They’re so good!
Malt Ball Cookie Recipe
Here’s what you’ll need to make these malt ball cookies:
Dry Ingredients – brown sugar, granulated sugar, all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt
Wet Ingredients – softened unsalted butter, large eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla
Additional items – bran cereal and crushed malted milk balls (such as Whoppers candy)
How to Make Chocolate Malt Ball Cookies
Nothing complicated here! These are the steps to make a batch (scroll down for the detailed printable.)
- Beat together the butter, both sugars, baking soda, and salt until combined.
- Add in the wet ingredients, followed by the flour, a little at a time.
- Stir in the cereal and most of the malted milk balls.
- Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and placed on a cookie sheet, with space in between.
- Bake in a 375 degree F preheated oven until golden.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle some of the reserved malt ball crumbs on top.
- Let cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
How to Store Chocolate Malt Ball Cookies
Allow cookies to cool completely, then store in an airtight container for 2-3 days on your countertop or you can freeze them for up to 2 months.
Other Cookies We Love!
I hope you love this delicious and easy recipe – be sure to give it a review below! Also don’t forget to follow Belly Full on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube!
Chocolate Malt Ball Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups bran cereal
- 3 cups malted milk balls , crushed, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In an extra large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer for about 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat until well combined, scraping down the sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in eggs, oil, and vanilla. Beat in the flour a little at a time.
- Add in the cereal and 2 1/2 cups of the crushed malted milk balls, reserving a 1/2 cup to sprinkle on top of cooked cookies.
- Using a tablespoon sized cookie scoop, shape dough into 1-1/2-inch balls.
- Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle the reserved malt ball crumbs over the tops; let sit for about 1-2 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Reader Questions and Reviews
Why bran flakes?
Probably as a binding agent (and filler.) Good for a little fiber, too ;-) That’s what the original recipe called for and I didn’t change it.
These look a-MAZING! Thanks for sharing! Just wondering by bran cereal do you mean raisin bran, All bran or what kind? I so wanna make these! Thanks!!
Hi there Donalda! It’s basically Raisin Bran, without the raisins! Just regular bran flake cereal…you find it with the other cereals.
Whoppers used to be my favorite as a kid. Put them in cookies and I think I would have died and gone to heaven! Delish, as always, my friend!
Do you know that malt balls are my weakness? I mean, even more than Oreos? More than chocolate mousse. More than anything with sugar in it! I’m drooling. Love the pic with the cookie on top of the glass of milk BTW.
Too decadent to eat an entire batch. So I’ll just wait and have a bite at your house! Put a couple in the freezer for our next visit.
Saw this post this morning and so I ran out to buy malt balls. Sound like such a delicious cookie!
I sometimes wonder if I were a malted milk ball junkie in another life, so you are really teasing me with these in my quest to be a good girl and not eat so much sugar. But, oh what is life without a little naughtiness every once in awhile. :) These cookies are going to haunt my psyche until I have one.
I’m glad VC is back up!! I remember having weekends like that, but I know the stress must be super amped when so many people visit on a typical day. We need you!!
Thankfully I’ve only had my site go down ONCE so far and it was only for five minutes. But seriously…those were the worst five minutes OF.MY.LIFE. (Not really. But kind of). So I can’t even imagine what 3 days was like! You probably stress-burned so many calories that you deserve a whole batch of these!
Thanks for the good word Amy! We’re always happy to help! And I now I have a cookie craving that an oreo just won’t curb.