This Cuban Sandwich, inspired by the movie CHEF, combines slow roasted pork, ham, swiss cheese, onion, pickles, and mustard. It’s incredibly simple and delicious!
I remember in 2013 catching movie trailers for CHEF and thinking, “Oh! I definitely want to see that!” I love Jon Favreau, and obviously the title and topic alone had me interested immediately. But then it was released, so quietly it seemed, that I sort of wasn’t paying attention and forgot about it.
Well, we rented it a couple weeks ago, almost half-heartedly, because at this point neither one of us really cared anymore. But, you guys, what a surprise. It’s such a good movie…an actor’s movie, as we say. Character driven, slice of life. A little hidden gem and we loved it.
Honestly, the real star of the film isn’t Favreau, but more so the cuban sandwich. For the first time ever, I actually wanted to visit Miami just so I could get my hands on one. But since that’s not happening, I just made them myself using some leftovers from the Slow Cooker Cuban Pork.
Cubanos combine slow roasted pork, ham, swiss cheese, onion, pickles, and mustard. What’s not to love? It’s incredibly simple and delicious!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 pieces of French bread , about 6 inches long
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 3 slices deli-style honey ham
- 2 ounces slow cooked cuban pork (roasted, chopped, or pulled)
- 2 rings of red onion
- 3 dill pickle slices
- If you have a panini maker, heat it up.
- Spread the butter on one side of each piece of bread. Spread mustard on the other sides. Top one mustard-covered slice with the cheese, ham, pork, onion, and pickles. Cover with the other piece of bread, butter side up.
- Cook on the panini maker until the bread is golden and crispy, and the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes. Let stand one minute, then slice in half and serve immediately.