These Banana Bread Muffins are rich and wonderful, studded with chocolate chips and toffee bits. They freeze beautifully and reheat in seconds. Enjoy them with a cup of coffee or cold glass of milk!
Looking for something more traditional? Don’t miss our Ultimate Banana Bread Recipe – truly the absolute best banana bread of your life.
The Ultimate Banana Bread Muffin Recipe
If I was ever going to write a second cookbook, it would most likely be filled with from-scratch simple and quick breakfast items – one that provides a mix of time-saving recipes you can whip up on the fly with common ingredients, as well as make-ahead dishes to help you out during hectic mornings.
And it would be filled with all.the.muffins. Gosh, I love a good muffin. And I am an absolute sucker for a moist banana bread muffin, especially like this recipe with naturally sweet bananas, chocolate chips, and toffee bits in every bite.
This banana bread muffin recipe is taken up a few notches with tangy sour cream, rich chocolate, and sweet toffee pieces.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Bananas: The star! The key to these banana muffins is using overly ripe bananas. The outside should have a ton of brown specs – even solid black is great! – and the fruit should naturally break apart when you peel it. This is what will provide that rich, sweet, banana flavor.
- Flour: Simple all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled when measuring.
- Brown sugar: For sweetness.
- Baking soda: A leavening agent that helps the muffins rise.
- Eggs: Eggs add moisture and give the batter structure.
- Sour cream: This gives the muffins a slight tangy flavor and keeps them nice and moist.
- Unsalted butter: We prefer unsalted butter so the muffins aren’t overly salty.
- Spices: Cinnamon and nutmeg are wonderful warming spices.
- Salt: For flavor.
- Vanilla: For flavor.
- Mix-ins: Mini chocolate chips and toffee pieces take these muffins up a delicious level!
How to Make Banana Bread Muffins
These chocolate chip banana bread muffins are a very straightforward muffin recipe. Just keep the following tips in mind for best results:
(For all the details, scroll down to the complete printable recipe card and don’t miss the video below.)
- Measure flour correctly. Spoon and level the flour, don’t scoop. Too much flour will result in a dry, crumbly muffin.
- Gently combine wet and dry ingredients. This results in a tender baked good.
- Don’t over mix! It can make your muffins tough.
- Don’t over bake. Check the muffins a couple minutes before the directed bake time (some ovens run hot) You want barely moist crumbs, no wet batter.
How to Store
These are best enjoyed fresh, but will remain soft at room temperature for a couple days, stored in an airtight container. And they freeze well up to 2 months. To freeze, simply cool completely and store in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature (if preferred) before serving.
More Muffin Recipes:
Banana Bread Muffins
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips , divided
- 3/4 cup toffee chips , divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners and spray very lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until combined and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and eggs until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg until incorporated. Add to the wet ingredients, beating until just combined.
- Stir in the mashed bananas, sour cream, 3/4 cup chocolate chips, and 1/2 cup of the toffee chips until just combined.
- Using a cookie scoop, evenly distribute the batter among the muffin cups. Sprinkle with the reserved chocolate chips and toffee chips.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes and enjoy!