Start your day with this Chocolate-Almond Steel Cut Oatmeal, which is filling and nutritious and naturally sweetened with brown sugar and bananas!
My Paul. Cooking is just not his thing. When we were first dating, he made Mac and Cheese – I didn’t have the heart to tell him that the pasta isn’t supposed to be that soft. And his burnt grilled cheese was less than desirable. And no, you probably don’t want to mix the left over fish curry with the left over spaghetti and meatballs. Oy.
(He can, however, mow the lawn, build furniture, do a mean load of laundry, clean bathrooms, produce an awesome video, and has saved us thousands of dollars over the years fixing electrical and plumbing problems. So I’d say it’s more than a fair trade!)
There is one thing, though, that he makes quite well. Steel-cut oatmeal, of all things.
He sometimes makes oatmeal for the kids on the weekends, usually adding in dried fruit and pecans. They love it.
This last time, I took control (big surprise) and gave it a different twist. A dessert-like twist (another big surprise)…with chocolate and almonds.
This Chocolate-Almond Steel Cut Oatmeal is still on the healthier side from those steel cut oats and sweet banana. But the kids can think it’s dessert oatmeal from the chocolate and cream – whatever works!
other oatmeal recipes we love!
Chocolate-Almond Steel Cut Oatmeal
- 1 cup Steel Cut (Quick and Easy) Irish Oatmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large ripe banana , sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- In a medium pot, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add oats and salt; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and stir in cocoa powder and brown sugar.
- Divide among 4 bowls, topped with sliced banana and 1 tablespoon each of heavy cream, almonds, and chocolate pieces.