Cheater Skillet Breadsticks – easy homemade breadsticks with butter, garlic, herbs, and mozzarella. Then sprinkled with parmesan and baked in a cast iron skillet. Great with soup, dipped in marinara, or all on their own!
You guys. I’ve made these three times in the last week. I told Paul he’s never allowed to complain that I never make anything twice!
I first tested them out right before picking up the kids, so they became an after-school snack. Big hit. Then I needed to shoot photos, so I made them again…for breakfast. If that’s wrong, I don’t want to be right. The third time, they accompanied tomato soup when Haley had a friend spend the night….and she asked if I could send her mom the recipe.
They’re so easy and delicious. And a clear indication that I don’t use my cast iron skillet nearly enough!
- • cornmeal, for dusting
- • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- • 2 garlic cloves, minced
- • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- • 1 tube (13 ounce) Pillsbury refrigerated pizza dough
- • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat a 10-inch cast iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with a little cornmeal. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the butter, garlic, oregano, and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll the pizza dough. Brush some of the butter mixture crosswise over half of the dough; sprinkle with the mozzarella. Fold uncovered dough portion over the cheese. Starting from the folded edge, using a pizza cutter, cut into 1-inch strips. Arrange the strips in the skillet in two layers. Brush with the remaining butter mixture; sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
- Serve with soup, dipped in marinara sauce, or all on their own!
adapted from BHG