Caramel Apple Grapes are the perfect snack! Grapes dipped in caramel and then in nuts. A little treat that tastes like caramel apple in every bite.
Our 21 days of no junk food comes to an end tomorrow. I’d love to say “it was the best thing we could have done!” Or “it’s changed my eating habits forever!” Or “wow. I lost 2 inches around my thighs!” But um…no.
I’m glad it’s over. Honestly, after the first week of adjustment (which was brutal), the remaining days weren’t horrible, I suppose. But I certainly didn’t enjoy it. And I’m still searching for the reward, other than bragging rights. Whoopie.
It helped (unbeknownst to us) to begin this challenge in the hotter months, when all we really wanted to do was eat popsicles and watermelon, anyway. But interestingly enough, having to give up some of my favorite treats like this French Coconut Pie…
Or my beloved Dill Pickle Dip…
wasn’t the toughest part.
The torture was not being able to have chips with sandwiches, no Cheeze-Its at 3pm when I’m starving and need something quick to tide me over until dinner, and the absence of something chocolaty at the end of a meal.
As for Paul, this challenge was a lot easier for him. BUT…swearing off ice cream was pure misery. I imagine come Wednesday, he might devour an entire carton of Ben and Jerry’s.
In the spirit of full disclosure, it’s only fair that I share our mulligans. So here they are:
- I had a few chips at Haley’s end of school year BBQ/picnic, completely forgetting about our challenge. (Or maybe I subconsciously blocked it out.)
- Trevor’s best friend, Matthew, turned 4 and had a robot themed party. A.DOR.A.BLE. His crafty mom made these. Now really, how could I not have one? That would have just been rude ;-)
- I had a tiny sliver of pie for our Father’s Day family brunch. But I was the provider, so I couldn’t very well not taste my work, right?
- And…um…okay…there’s one more thing. Don’t yell at me. I ate white bread the entire time. But I pretty much knew I wasn’t even going to try and give that up. Sorry. (Paul always jokes that whenever we do any type of challenge, mine always has an asterisk included. That was my asterisk. I’m terrible, sue me.)
But, that’s it! I think that’s pretty awesome! 21 days is longer than you think. *pats self on back*
Along the way, I had to get creative with homemade snacks. Found these grapes with caramel and fell in love. They really do taste like little bites of caramel apple!
Caramel Apple Grapes
- handful of seedless green grapes
- 1 cup caramel bits
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup salted peanuts or cashews , crushed finely
- Poke toothpicks into your grapes; set aside.
- In a small pot, over medium-low heat, combine the caramel bits and cream. Stir until melted. Reduce heat to lowest setting just to keep warm.
- Dip the grapes into the caramel sauce and then into the crushed nuts. Place on a plate to set. Repeat until all the grapes are used.
- That's it! Pop those babies in your mouth and enjoy!