This Grilled Salmon with Blackberry Sauce is the perfect balance of flavors and will make your palate sing this summer!
I grill so much that Paul and I have actually paid a plumber $400+ to install an exterior gas line at every place we’ve lived, so I wouldn’t have to deal with propane tanks anymore. I grill so much that when we lived in Minnesota, my neighbors would still see me in 15 degree weather, outside, parka and all, flipping my Jerk Turkey Burgers.
But I don’t grill a lot of fish. I actually don’t make a lot of fish, period. Because…KIDS. Sigh. I’m hoping as they get older, they’ll grow to love it like I do.
Anyway. GRILLED FOOD. Is there anything better? Ever hear of the Maillard reaction? It’s a bunch of reactions between amino acids and sugars happening at the same time, and basically creates richness and browning…and in our mouths, flavor. Food on the grill achieves this. SCIENCE. I love it.
I want to shout from the roof tops to everyone, “Stop saving for that television set. You must buy a grill, for all your food will taste amazing.”
And then you can grill this salmon. It’s basted with chili garlic sauce, then served with this wonderful fruit sauce. The flavor combination might sound strange, but the heat from the chili paste and sweet-tart blackberry sauce is such a flavor explosion!
The blackberry sauce can be made in five minutes. Include a side of your favorite green vegetable for a complete meal.
other salmon recipes we love
other grilled recipes we love
Grilled Salmon with Blackberry Sauce
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless salmon filets , (4 filets, 1-inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- In a food processor or blender, puree the rice vinegar, blackberries, honey, ginger, lemongrass, sesame oil, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, until combined and smooth. Set aside.
- Brush the salmon filets with chili garlic sauce.
- Heat a grill to medium. Oil the grill grates very well; cook the salmon for about 5 minutes per side (for medium to medium well.) Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes. The salmon is done when it flakes easily with a fork.)
- Serve the salmon with the blackberry sauce and your favorite green vegetable.