Layers of ice cream bars, hot fudge, caramel, whipped topping, and toffee pieces make this super easy Ice Cream Bar Cake look like you labored over it!
You guys. I have a tweener in the house! Haley turns 10 today. EEP.
And apparently it’s her “golden birthday” << I’d never heard of this before. She informed me that my golden birthday was a looooong time ago. Kids are a great reminder of how old we parents are!
I’ve always sort of wished my kids were born in the summer, so we could have a pool party. This treat would be perfect for that. But ice cream is definitely one of those indulgences that people enjoy all year round; it certainly isn’t limited to June-August.
So, I said screw it and made an ice cream cake in February. Take that Mother Nature!
Since we seem to celebrate birthdays all.week.long now (with friends, then in the classroom, then with family. WHEW), desserts that feed a crowd and can be made ahead of time are key. Bonus if they’re easily portable. Extra bonus if they looked like you worked really hard at it, when it actually only took 20 minutes. Sssshhhh.
Feel free to change up the toppings to your own taste. Crushed up nuts or rainbow sprinkles would be fun!
- 18 ice cream sandwiches (you may need more if they’re the square kind)
- 2 cups hot fudge topping
- 3/4 cup caramel topping
- 1 container (8 ounce) Cool Whip
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup toffee pieces
- Microwave the fudge and caramel topping for about 25 seconds to loosen it and make it spreadable, if necessary.
- Line the bottom of a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with a layer of the ice cream bars (9 of them; trim if necessary.) Spread half of the hot fudge, followed by the caramel, and then Cool Whip over the sandwiches. Sprinkle on half of the chocolate chips and toffee pieces. Repeat layers.
- Freeze until firm, about 1 hour. Cut into squares and serve.