A Shirley Temple Ice Cream Float transforms the classic Shirley Temple drink into an ultra creamy ice cream drink you can sip on, perfect for summer! You only need 4 simple ingredients and no fancy equipment. It’s sweet, a little tart, refreshing, so delicious, and can be made in a couple minutes. You can also make it a Dirty Shirley ice cream float for grown ups by adding in some booze.
Easy Shirley Temple Ice Cream Float
We’re back with another Shirley Temple variation. We can’t help it! The simple flavors of lemon-lime soda and grenadine just beg to be put into new creations, like our Shirley Temple Cake, Dirty Shirley cocktail, and Dirty Shirley Jello Shots. This Shirley Temple Ice Cream Float joins the collection and we love it.
This ice cream float recipe takes the classic Shirley Temple drink and turns it into a creamy float, perfect for summertime. The bubbly lemon-lime soda, pretty pink grenadine, and smooth vanilla ice cream make it refreshing, almost like a milkshake, but without needing a blender. Its so easy – you can make one in a couple minutes!
All you need to make this ice cream float recipe is 4 ingredients, plus some optional garnishes.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Lemon-lime soda – You can use 7UP or Sprite, have it chilled before building your drink.
- Ginger ale – The original shirley temple drink used both lemon-lime soda and ginger ale, and that’s how we like them. But you can use just one or the other, if preferred.
- Grenadine syrup – Grenadine is pomegranate juice that’s sweetened with sugar – so basically, pomegranate syrup. It is purely non-alcoholic and totally safe for kids.
- Vanilla ice cream – Use your favorite brand.
- Garnishes – maraschino cherries and lime slices.
Tips and Variations
- Vary the amount of ice cream. The serving size and how many scoops of ice cream needed depends on the size of the glass used.
- Use maraschino cherry juice. Maraschino cherry juice is an ok substitute for grenadine, if preferred.
- Add more lime flavor. You can add 2 tablespoons of lime juice to make the drink a little more on the citrus side.
- Make it boozy. Add in 1 tablespoon of amaretto liqueur and replace 1/2 a cup of the lemon-lime soda with vodka.
How to Make a Shirley Temple Float
It’s so easy to make this float recipe by simply mixing together the three liquids and pouring it over ice cream. Add maraschino cherries and lime slices for optional garnishes and serve immediately. Don’t forget the fun straws! To make this Shirley Temple float, scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.
We like to garnish the floats with a maraschino and lime wedge, and also serve the drinks with some fun straws! You could also top the floats with homemade whipped cream. These floats need to be served immediately since it is an ice cream forward drink.
More Summer Drinks:
- Boba Tea
- Homemade Lemonade
- Chick-fil-A Frosted Lemonade
- Wendy’s Frosty
- Mexican Horchata
- Strawberry Sweet Tea
I hope you love this delicious and easy recipe – be sure to give it a review below! Also don’t forget to follow Belly Full on TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube!
Shirley Temple Ice Cream Float
- 2 1/2 cups lemon-lime soda (such as 7UP or Sprite), chilled
- 1 cup ginger ale , chilled
- 2 tablespoons grenadine syrup
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
- maraschino cherries , for garnish
- lime slices , for garnish
- In a pitcher, stir together the lemon-lime soda, ginger ale, and grenadine.
- Divide the scoops of ice cream between 2 fountain glasses. Top each with the Shirley Temple mixture.
- Add 1 or 2 maraschino cherries and a lime slice, for garnish.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Reader Questions and Reviews
The kids loved it and my mil enjoyed a boozy version with a shot of lime Bacardi added to hers!
How fun! Great last minute drink for today and I have all the ingredients – thanks for the idea, going to make them!