Heirloom tomatoes and pickled beets pair together in this deliciously simple Beet Salad recipe, along with feta cheese, ground black pepper, parsley, and a dressing of olive oil. It’s an easy and healthy dish perfect for warm summer weather.
Sometimes when it gets into September it stays so stinkin’ hot where I am. So I end up still eating things that require little use of my oven. And this Beet Salad with Heirloom Tomatoes ends up being on repeat for lunch – I love it!
What makes this Beet Salad Recipe so Great
- It’s perfect for hot weather because you don’t have to use an oven or stove!
- This beet salad is so simple to make – stick everything on a plate and sprinkle on the toppings then you’re done!
- The flavors are fresh and tangy and salty – a winning combination.
My market has a bounty of Heirloom tomatoes right now, so I’m all over that. Before I blink, they’ll be gone.
what are heirloom tomatoes
Heirloom tomatoes are not old, dusty, or anything you’ll find on the Antiques Road Show. Lol. Their seeds, though, are passed down from season to season from farmers choosing the best fruit, which allows them to cultivate tomatoes with the best size, shape, color, and tenderness.
Heirloom tomatoes, unlike mass-produced cookie-cutter tomatoes, are not genetically modified; they are usually open-pollinated, which means they are naturally pollinated by birds, insects, and other elements of nature. Which basically means, the best flavor!
I adore their inconsistent weird shapes and colors. If you’ve never tried an Heirloom tomato, you must – regular tomatoes just don’t compare. And they’re perfectly paired with tangy pickled beets and salty feta.
- If your heirloom tomatoes are on the smaller side, you may not want to cut them into half moons. Ideally you want the tomato slices the same size as the beets.
- Pickled beets are easy to make, but you can also buy them if you don’t have time to make them from scratch.
- You’ll want to serve this salad right away as the beets will start to stain the cucumbers if you wait too long to serve it.
- If you don’t have feta cheese handy, you could also use gorgonzola (or another type of crumbly goat cheese.)
- While olive oil tastes best in this salad, you could also use another mild tasting oil in its place (like avocado or canola oil).
- If you can’t find heirloom tomatoes, use on the vine tomatoes as a substitute.
other healthy salad recipes you might enjoy!
Other Beet Recipes We love!
How To Make This Beet Salad Recipe
Beet Salad Recipe with Heirloom Tomatoes
- 2 medium Heirloom tomatoes (, sliced into half moons)
- 8 ounces pickled beets (, drained)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- black pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- chopped fresh parsley
- On individual serving plates, arrange the tomatoes and beets in a spiral pattern, overlapping between the two.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the top, then sprinkle with black pepper, feta cheese, and parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!