Sloppy Joes with a Philly Cheese Steak flair. Quick, easy, and delicious!
Ok. One of two things needs to happen. Either school ends asap…or the temperature reaches 85 degrees every day moving forward.
Because, you guys. I just cannot buy Trevor any more pants!
Honestly, I’m shocked we lasted this long. But, he officially has holes on both knees, for all pairs. There’s no way I’m buying new pants with seven weeks left. Nope.
It’s hot. It’s cold. It’s hot. It’s windy… ah, spring. I love ya. But I kind of hate you, too. Don’t you know I’ve got dresser drawers to swap out?
I made these sloppy joes the other night when it was chilly and windy. They were super easy and quick. And check it out! >> I actually used the recommended green bell peppers, which you know I hate. But I sort of loved them. EEP!
- • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- • 1/2 cup beef or low sodium chicken broth
- • 2 teaspoons olive oil
- • 1 small sweet onion, diced
- • 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- • 1 pound lean ground beef
- • 2 tablespoons ketchup
- • 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- • 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- • 1/4 teaspoon salt
- • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- • 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- • 6 hamburger buns
- Preheat broiler.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and broth. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high. Add the onion and peppers; sauté 3 minutes until tender. Add in the beef and continue to cook, breaking it up and browning, for another 3 minutes. Drain off fat.
- Stir in the ketchup, Worcestershire, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Give the broth and cornstarch a quick stir and add it to the skillet; simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens slightly.
- Scoop some mixture onto buns, top with 1/4 cup cheese, and stick under the broiler until melted-keep a close eye, so nothing burns! (Alternatively, you can simply add the cheese in with the meat mixture and stir until combined and melted.)
- Serve warm with chips and enjoy!