This healthy Philly Cheese Steak Hasselback Chicken recipe includes slices of provolone cheese, bell pepper, and onion. The results are moist and delicious! Super easy weeknight meal that also happens to be low carb, gluten free, keto friendly, and low calorie!
I’ve got another delicious, easy, inexpensive chicken dinner for you guys! WOOT. And it also happens to be low carb, gluten free, and keto-friendly, if you’re following any of those diets.
This Philly Cheese Steak Hasselback Chicken was inspired from this Barbecue-Cheddar Hasselback Chicken..but mainly the fact that my refrigerator is just plain sad right now, with only some pickles, five different half-filled jars of jam, Provolone, and bell pepper. Weird food combo, anyone? HA.
My kids started camp today – I had my entire day mapped out and how much I was going to get done, including grocery shopping.
Didn’t do any of it.
Instead, I juiced 10 pounds of lemons brought over from my neighbor, researched mattresses, and watched funny dog videos.
But thank goodness I didn’t go, right? Because voilà! This chicken dish was born.
Turning lemons into lemonade, you guys. And in more ways than one, thanks to all those lemons!
Other Chicken Recipes To Try!
Watch the video for Philly Cheese Steak Hasselback Chicken
Philly Cheese Steak Hasselback Chicken
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (8 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ,divided
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 4 ounces provolone cheese ,sliced into pieces
- 1/2 small green bell pepper ,thinly sliced
- 1/4 small sweet onion ,thinly sliced
Optional sauce, for serving
- 1/2 cup mayonaise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Make 5-6 crosswise slits (depending how big the chicken is) in the top of each chicken breast with a paring knife, cutting about three-quarters of the way through.
- Rub the chicken all over with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, then rub with the Italian seasoning, making sure to season the inside of the slits. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Toss the bell pepper and onion with the remaining olive oil. Sprinkle with a touch of salt and pepper.
- Stuff the sliced provolone and vegetables into each slit.
- Roast the chicken until it is cooked through, about 15 minutes or until an internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients, if using, and serve with the chicken.