Quick and easy Lucky Muddy Buddies for St. Patrick’s Day! You’re only 5 ingredients and 15 minutes away from one of the most delicious and addicting snacks ever! Perfectly festive for at-home or classroom parties.
St. Patrick’s Day Muddy Buddies Puppy Chow
Whether you call them muddy buddies or puppy chow, they are loved by everyone and nearly impossible to resist! Crunchy cereal coated in silky melted chocolate, then tossed in powdered sugar. The hardest part about this recipe is not keeping all the servings for yourself!
This lucky muddy buddies recipe uses Rice Chex, vanilla candy melts and green food coloring, along with green M&Ms candy so they are extra festive for St. Patrick’s Day.
You only need 5 simple ingredients to make this muddy buddies recipe:
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Rice Chex Cereal
- Vanilla candy melts
- Powdered sugar
- Green food coloring
- Green M&Ms
- Try a different cereal. Corn Chex or even Crispix can be used instead of Rice Chex, if preferred.
- Adding in nut butters. I’ve seen these made with peanut butter and other nut butters, but I omitted that for these green-colored Muddy Buddies.
- Use green candy melts. If you don’t want to use food coloring, simply replace the white vanilla candy melts with green candy melts.
- Use white chocolate. Candy melts are my preference because of their silky smooth texture once melted and are also so convenient, but you can replace them with white chocolate chips, if preferred. Be very careful when melting white chocolate as it has a tendency to burn and can be a little finicky when mixed with food coloring.
How to Make St. Patrick’s Muddy Buddies
Lucky muddy buddies are super easy to make in just a few simple steps! Melt the candy melts, gently fold in the cereal, then toss in powdered sugar. For this particular recipe, you’ll be separating the white candy melts into two parts, dying one part green, and also adding in M&Ms. To make it, just hop below to the detailed recipe card.
Puppy chow is great set out in a large serving bowl for a crowd, or in individual cups for a portable snack. It also makes a great party favor or gift in cellophane bags tied with a cute green ribbon.
- Storing leftovers. Once the coating has set, muddy buddies will last for up to a week at room temperature in an airtight container. (Keep out of direct sunlight and heat to avoid melting the chocolate.) BUT I highly recommend keeping them in the refrigerator – having it cold and extra crunchy is fantastic!
- Can I freeze muddy buddies? Yes. This muddy buddies recipe will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months stored in a freezer-safe ziploc bag or airtight container.
More St. Patrick’s Day Desserts:
- Pistachio Fluff
- Pistachio Cookies
- Mint No Bake Cheesecake
- Baileys Brownies
- Baileys Chocolate Truffles
- Grasshopper Parfaits
St. Patrick’s Day Lucky Muddy Buddies
- 12 ounce box Rice Chex Cereal , divided
- 12 ounces white/vanilla candy melts , divided
- green food coloring
- 1 & 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup Green M&Ms and/or Shamrock sprinkles
- Divide the cereal into 2 separate large mixing bowls.
- Melt the candy melts according to package directions until the chocolate is melted and smooth, then divide into 2 bowls. Leave one bowl WHITE. In the 2nd bowl, stir in 3 to 4 drops of GREEN food coloring or until you get the green color you want; whisk vigorously until completely combined and smooth.
- Pour the white melted candy melts over one bowl of cereal, folding gently with a spatula until evenly coated, trying not to crush the cereal. Separate any pieces that are stuck together. Repeat this process with the green melted candy melts and the other bowl of cereal.
- Transfer both the white and green colored chocolate coated cereal to a 2-gallon sized re-sealable food storage plastic bag. Add the powdered sugar, seal bag and toss gently until all the cereal is well-coated. Then gently toss in the M&M's.
- Serve and enjoy!