Quick and easy Cupid Muddy Buddies with a holiday flair for Valentine’s Day! You’re only 5 ingredients and 15 minutes away from one of the most delicious and addicting snacks ever! Perfect for classroom parties or sweet little gifts for all your loved ones.
A little bag of these muddy buddies and some Valentine’s Day chocolate bark would make such a cute gift for teachers, neighbors, and friends!
Valentine’s Day Muddy Buddies Puppy Chow
Whether you call them muddy buddies or puppy chow, the taste is undeniably irresistible! Crunchy cereal coated in silky melted chocolate, then tossed in powdered sugar. The hardest part about this recipe is not hoarding all the servings for yourself.
This cupid muddy buddies recipe uses Rice Chex and colored candy melts, along with pretty red, pink, white M&Ms and heart candies so they’re extra cute for your loved ones on Valentine’s Day.
You only need 5 simple ingredients to make this muddy buddies recipe:
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Rice Chex Cereal
- Red candy melts
- Pink candy melts
- Powdered sugar
- Red, pink, and white M&Ms
- Try a different cereal. Corn Chex or even Crispix can be used instead of Rice Chex, if preferred.
- Adding in nut butters. I’ve seen these made with peanut butter and other nut butters, but I omitted that for these Red, Pink, and White Muddy Buddies.
- Use white chocolate and food coloring. Candy melts are so convenient, but you can replace them with white chocolate and food coloring, if preferred. Be very careful when melting white chocolate as it has a tendency to burn. I prefer food gel over liquid dye because the colors are deeper and produce a truer color, but gel (as opposed to liquid dye) makes the mixture set up pretty fast, so it doesn’t really drizzle as well. If using food gel, just gently spread it (with a spatula) over the cereal in sections. Everything will get coated once combined with the powdered sugar.
How to Make Valentine’s Muddy Buddies
Cupid muddy buddies are super easy to make in just a few simple steps! Melt the candy melts, gently fold in the cereal, then toss in powdered sugar. For this particular recipe, you’ll be using two different colors of candy melts and also adding in M&Ms. To make it, just hop below to the detailed recipe card.
Puppy chow is great set out in a large serving bowl for a crowd, or in individual cups for a portable snack. It also makes a great party favor or gift in cellophane bags tied with a pretty pink or red ribbon.
- Storing leftovers. Once the coating has set, muddy buddies will last for up to a week at room temperature in an airtight container. (Keep out of direct sunlight and heat to avoid melting the chocolate.) BUT I highly recommend keeping them in the refrigerator – having it cold and extra crunchy is fantastic!
- Can I freeze muddy buddies? Yes. This muddy buddies recipe will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months stored in a freezer-safe ziploc bag or airtight container.
More Valentine’s Day Treats:
- Valentine’s Day Chocolate Bark
- Shirley Temple Drink
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Red Velvet Cake Truffles
- Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies
- White Chocolate Raspberry Parfaits
I hope you love this delicious and easy recipe – be sure to give it a review below! Also don’t forget to follow Belly Full on TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube!
Valentine Cupid Muddy Buddies
- 12 ounce box Rice Chex Cereal , divided
- 6 ounces red candy melts
- 6 ounces pink candy melts
- 1 & 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup red, pink, and white M&Ms
- Divide the cereal into 2 separate large mixing bowls.
- Melt the red and pink candy melts, separately, according to package directions until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Pour the red melted candy melts over one bowl of cereal, folding gently with a spatula until evenly coated, trying not to crush the cereal. Separate any pieces that are stuck together. Repeat this process with the pink melted candy melts and the other bowl of cereal.
- Transfer both colored chocolate coated cereal to a 2-gallon sized re-sealable food storage plastic bag. Add the powdered sugar, seal bag and toss gently until all the cereal is well-coated. The gently toss in the M&M's.
- Serve and enjoy!
Reader Questions and Reviews