With just 5 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep, dessert doesn’t get much easier than this Cherry Dump Cake! Serve with some vanilla ice cream for a quick but crazy delicious treat anytime.
Super Easy Cherry Dump Cake Recipe
Looking for a quick and easy dessert to whip up in a pinch? You’ll definitely want to keep this Cherry Dump Cake recipe on hand! All you need is some cherry pie filling, cake mix, and butter, though I do add a few extra ingredients for optimal flavor.
I love an easy dessert almost as much as I love an easy dinner, and this dessert recipe is one of the easiest. Just dump (a la “dump” cake) the ingredients into the baking dish, pop it in the oven, and dessert is ready in under an hour.
The best part is that this recipe is super flexible. You can change the cake mix and the fruit filling to come up with a new flavor every time.
What is a Dump Cake?
A dump cake is essentially a recipe where all the ingredients are dumped into a baking dish and then baked. There’s no mixing or preparing batter, usually no cleaning or chopping up any items. Just dump the ingredients one at a time, bake, and enjoy!
Just 5 ingredients go into this cherry pie filling dump cake.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Cherry pie filling – Our star ingredient.
- Maraschino cherry juice – Enhances the cherry flavor in the dessert.
- Almond extract – This provides an extra punch of cherry flavor. You can substitute with another extract like vanilla or even cherry extract.
- Yellow cake mix – For the topping.
- Salted butter – Helps create the crisp, golden top.
With a recipe this easy, it’s no surprise that there are many ways to customize it.
- Switch up the cake mix topping. You can use any cake mix in place of yellow – I suggest vanilla, white, lemon, devil’s food, milk chocolate, chocolate fudge, or dark chocolate.
- Try a different fruit flavor. Switch out the pie filling with any pie filling you like! This is a base recipe to go off of.
- Add a tropical flavor. Diced pineapple can be added to the filling for another flavor level.
- Skip the maraschino cherry juice. I add the maraschino cherry juice and almond extract for an extra explosive flavor of cherry. The addition of maraschino cherry juice does not make the filling too liquidy, it just adds another dimension of cherry flavor but the recipe will still work perfectly fine without it.
- Substitute the almond extract. If you don’t have almond extract or don’t want to purchase it you can use vanilla, almond, lemon, cherry, or even strawberry in its place, or leave it out entirely.
How to Make a Cherry Dump Cake
This dump cake recipe comes together in a few quick steps.
(Scroll down to the printable recipe card for details and measurements, and don’t miss the video below.)
- Add the cherry layer. Pour the cherry pie filling into the baking dish. Add the maraschino cherry juice and almond extract. Stir to combine and smooth into an even layer.
- Add the cake mix. Sprinkle the cake mix over the cherry filling.
- Add the butter. Pour the melted butter over the cake mix.
- Bake. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Let rest for 15 minutes and enjoy!
Cherry dump cake is best served warm or at room temperature, but you do want to let it sit for at least 15 minutes out of the oven before serving. Otherwise, it’s super hot!
I love to top my dump cake with vanilla ice cream. Some other yummy toppings: chocolate sauce, whipped cream, caramel sauce, powdered sugar, or chocolate chips (then the chocolate chips get all melty on top!)
Video: How to Make Cherry Pie Filling Dump Cake
How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat
- Storing leftovers. Leftover cherry dump cake can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. Just cover the baking dish with plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container.
- Reheat. To reheat, pop a serving in the microwave for 30 seconds or so, until warm.
- Freeze. You can also freeze your dump cake for up to 3 months. Wrap in plastic wrap and again in foil. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
More Easy Dessert Recipes:
- Easy Mini Lemon Tarts
- 5 ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- 3 ingredients Easy Sugar Cookies
- Shirley Temple Cake
- Easy Strawberry Cobbler
- Blueberry Cobbler
Cherry Dump Cake
- 2 cans cherry pie filling (21 ounces each)
- 1/3 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup salted butter , melted
- vanilla ice cream , for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Pour the cherry pie filling into the baking dish.
- Add the maraschino cherry juice and almond extract. Stir to combine and smooth out the filling into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the filling.
- Pour the melted butter all over the top, and try to saturate as much of the cake mix as possible.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown on top and bubbly. Let sit for 15 minutes and serve with some vanilla ice cream!