Air Fryer Beets roast up so sweet and tender with just oil and a few seasonings in half the time it would take in the oven. It’s a quick and easy side dish or a great way to add nutrition, color, and flavor to salads.
Air Fryer Roasted Beets Recipe
We love beets. We love them so much, we can’t understand how others don’t. Beets are a superfood, loaded with nutrition like fiber, iron, potassium, magnesium, vitamins, and also anti-inflammatory. They’re great roasted, pickled, and air fried! Why we love this recipe:
- These beets are peeled and cubed, then air fried, resembling oven roasted potatoes or home fries.
- Air fryer beets roast up in half the time it takes to make oven roasted beets.
- Beets have a natural sweetness to them when roasted and are so delicious.
- It’s a quick and easy side dish or a great way to add nutrition and flavor to salads.
- The contrasting colors from red beets and golden beets is beautiful!
Ingredients for Air Fryer Roasted Beets
You only need beets, oil, and seasonings to make beets in an air fryer. We kept it simple with a combination of garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. You can get more adventurous with the seasoning if you’d like. Use an oil that can be cooked at high heat; we prefer avocado oil since it has a neutral taste that doesn’t take away from the beets.
Types of beets to use: You can use any type of beets for air fryer roasted beets. I chose a mix of red beets and golden beets for beautiful contrasting color. They’re more common and can be easier to find than chioggas (which look like candy canes!), but a trio would be great. It’s also worth noting that each beet variety has a slightly different flavor.
When roasting whole beets, we always leave the skin on and easily slide them off once they’re cooked. But for this recipe, because the beets are cut into small cubes, they should definitely be peeled first.
At 380°F, medium sized beets cut into 1-inch pieces will need about 16-20 minutes in the air fryer. They should air fry in a single layer, so you’ll likely need to roast them in batches depending on the size of your air fryer basket. They should be fork tender, but not mushy, and slightly caramelized around the edges. (Keep in mind that air fryers are all similar, but just like ovens, cooking times can vary.)
Tips for Success
- Consider wearing gloves. Beets will stain everything they come in contact with. We like to use gloves when peeling and cutting beets to avoid staining our hands.
- Cut in uniform pieces. Make sure your beets are cubed in uniform 1-inch pieces, so they cook evenly. You will need to adjust the cook time if the pieces are smaller or bigger.
- Use cooking spray. You might want to spray your air fryer basket with a non-stick cooking spray to prevent beets from sticking to the bottom.
What Goes Well With Beets?
- As a side dish. Air fried beets can be served as a side dish with pretty much any protein.
- In salads. They’re also a wonderful addition to a leafy green salad like an arugula beet salad and pair nicely with cucumbers in this beet and cucumber salad.
- Use them to make beet hummus. Homemade beet hummus is so easy and tasty!
- Pair them with creamy cheeses. They are a match made in creamy cheese Heaven when eaten with goat cheese or feta cheese. Drizzle with a little honey and sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley. Yummy!
How To Store Roasted Beets
- How long do air fryer roasted beets last? Air fried beets are best served right away and enjoyed freshly roasted. If you do have leftovers, allow them to cool and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container. They will keep up to 4 days.
- How to reheat air fried beets. Place them on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
- Can you freeze roasted beets? Unlike our roasted beets that are cooked whole and freeze great, I don’t recommend freezing these beet home fries. Once thawed, they have a weird texture.
More Beet Recipes:
- Pickled Beets
- Baked Beet Chips
- Beet Hummus
- Borscht (Beet Soup)
- Beet Pickled Eggs
- Creamy Beet Sauce
- Beets with Orange Maple Glaze
Air Fryer Beets
- 6 medium beets (we used a combination of red and golden)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cut off the beet roots. Then wash, peel and cube the beets to approximately 1-inch equal-sized cubes.
- Toss beets with the oil, garlic powder, pepper, onion powder and salt.
- Place beets in the air fryer basket, in a single layer (air frying in batches, if necessary.)
- Cook at 380°F for 16-20 minutes, tossing once or twice to turn them during cooking. (Test by poking with a fork. The fork should be able to easily move through the beat without being mushy.)
- Remove from the air fryer. Toss and serve right away.NOTE: Air fryers are all similar, but just like ovens, cooking times can vary.