Bruschetta Scones – a savory scone with almond milk, spinach, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, feta cheese, and of course olives!
“Ugh. MOM. Why can’t you make anything normal? Why can’t we have plain scones. Nothing in them. Just butter.”
And then both kids inhaled two, each.
I just sat there and gloated.
Needing something soft and so tired of cottage cheese, this was another recipe I made a few times after my dental surgery. I’ve only had sweet scones in the past and was intrigued by a savory option. They turned out really great!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
• 3/4 cup SILK almond milk (or whole milk)
• 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (using STAR – my favorite!)
• 1 cup spinach leaves, finely chopped
• 3 large basil leaves, chopped
• 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
• 1/4 cup green olives, chopped (I used STAR, of course!)
• 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
• 2 tablespoons pine nuts
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, olive oil, spinach, tomatoes, olives, cheese, and pine nuts.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center and add the milk mixture; with your fingers or a fork, combine until moistened and just incorporated (do not over mix!)
Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a 1-inch thick rectangle. With a sharp knife, cut the rectangle on the diagonal into 8. Place scones on prepared baking sheet and bake 15 minutes until golden. Cool slightly before serving.
(adapted from BHG)