A flavor-packed cheese and herb mixture tops biscuits and fresh tomatoes in this easy and delicious Cheesy Tomato Biscuit Casserole!
We love tomatoes and use them all year round, but there’s nothing like garden fresh tomatoes – I could eat them right off the vine. If you’ve got an abundance of them coming in, this Cheesy Tomato Biscuit Casserole is a perfect home for them!
Breakfast Casserole with Biscuits
This Tomato Biscuit Casserole is a savory summer gift in every bite. We usually enjoy it for breakfast, but it’s also wonderful as a brunch item, light lunch, or meatless dinner.
Biscuit casserole recipe ingredients:
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Butter: Unsalted butter is our choice to better control the sodium levels, but if you only have salted butter, that’s fine.
- Sweet onion: Adds a subtle sweetness to the mix.
- Sour cream and Mayonnaise: These add a tangy flavor and creamy texture.
- Cheddar cheese: Buying a block and shredding it fresh will be more flavorful and melt better than pre-packaged shredded cheese.
- Biscuits: We use Pillsbury Grands buttermilk biscuits, but if you have a homemade recipe, use that!
- Tomatoes: Slices of ripe beefsteak tomatoes are best here, but you could also use Roma.
- Seasonings: kosher salt, pepper, dried oregano, garlic powder, and paprika
Possible Additions: You could add in some cooked ground beef or sausage for meat eaters. Diced up spicy chilies would add another layer of flavor, too.
What to Serve with Tomato Biscuit Casserole
This is best served right away, however you can store leftovers. Let casserole cool completely, then cover tightly and store in the refrigerator. It will keep up to 3 days, although the dough might get soggy from the juicy tomatoes and cheese mixture. Rewarm in oven.
Other Recipes Using Garden Fresh Tomatoes
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Panzanella (Tomato and Bread Salad)
- Margherita Pizza
- Roasted Eggplant and Cherry Tomatoes
Cheesy Tomato Biscuit Casserole
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium sweet onion , diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 16 ounce container Pillsbury Grands Buttermilk Biscuits
- 3 medium tomatoes , cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat butter over medium-high. Add onion and saute until tender and translucent, about 3 minutes. Remove from the skillet and stir in the sour cream, mayonnaise, cheese, and spices until melted and combined. Set aside.
- Press all 8 biscuits flat into the prepared pan, pinching the seams together until they completely cover the bottom of the pan, pushing the dough slightly up the sides to form a rim. (The layer of dough will be thin.)
- Arrange tomato slices over the biscuit dough. Spread the cheese mixture over the top. Sprinkle with a little paprika.
- Bake for 25-27 minutes until the dough is cooked through, tomatoes are tender, and the cheese mixture is nice and bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.