Asian Turkey Meatballs with a sweet and spicy glaze, served with noodles or in lettuce cups!
I thought life was rough finding products made without peanuts, due to Haley’s allergy…until I started searching for products without wheat. Holy moly. Eating gluten-free would be a lot of work.
But some of you are choosing that path voluntarily, or out of necessity (like one of Haley’s friends), so I started digging through my archives to see if any of the recipes qualified. I was happily surprised to see that many of them do! So, I created a gluten-free category on the blog. Lots of good stuff there, so go check it out!
These meatballs are the latest addition. They’re great on their own or served with noodles as a more complete meal. I actually made a double batch and froze them, since I know it won’t be long before we want them again.
Asian Turkey Meatballs
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 cup coleslaw mix , chopped small
- 3 scallions , diced
- 3 teaspoons tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the Chili-Garlic Sauce
- 1/4 cup tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a large baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, with your hands gently combine the turkey, ginger, cole slaw mix, scallions, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, and pepper.
- Using a tablespoon sized cookie scoop, roll into meatballs and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- To make the sauce: in a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, water, chili garlic sauce, and brown sugar until combined; divide sauce into two bowls (one for basting and one for dipping.) Set aside.
- Bake the meatballs in the oven for 10 minutes. Using one of the bowls of sauce, brush or spoon the liquid over each meatball. Cook for another 5-6 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Serve meatballs with the second bowl of dipping sauce.
slightly adapted from Aggie’s Kitchen