Traditional meatballs with an Asian twist, using ground pork, soy and hoisin sauces. Then served over sesame rice noodles for an easy and complete meal!
Hey everyone! And just like that it’s January. New calendar is hanging on the refrigerator, kids are back in school, and by the looks of our house, you’d never know it was the holidays just a couple of weeks ago. (Except for the mountain of broken down cardboard that wouldn’t fit in our recycling bin the first week – or even the second week – after Christmas!)
Anyway, first recipe of 2016…let’s do this!
It’s Asian. Shocking. #not
I’ve decided I can’t live without soy sauce. Or sesame oil. Or hoisin sauce. I’d sooner give up cookies.
This is the culmination of two recipes I love – Asian pork sliders and sesame noodles – with some tweaking here and there.
Made it a few times in the last month >> the second time was by kid request, which is always the best!
Asian Pork Meatballs over Sesame Rice Noodles
For the Meatballs
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground pork
- 1 egg , lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup minced scallions
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup Hoisin sauce
For the Noodles
- 16 ounce package stir-fry rice noodles
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Hoisin sauce
- 4 whole green onions , diced (plus more for garnish)
- sesame seeds , optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, using your hands, mix the pork, egg, scallions, soy sauce, sesame oil, ground ginger, and a few grinds of salt and pepper, until just combined. Using a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop, form 35 meatballs (they will be moist.) Coat each one with a little hoisin sauce. Arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring a large pot of water to boil; cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Rinse noodles under cool water; drain again.
- While pasta is cooking, whisk all other ingredients together in a bowl. Return noodles to the pot and pour sauce mixture over the top; toss to coat.
- Divide noodles on plates; top with 5-6 meatballs per person. Sprinkle green onions and toasted sesame seeds over the top, if desired.