(Make-Ahead) Freezer Breakfast Burritos
Weekday mornings just got easier with these delicious Make-Ahead Freezer Breakfast Burritos! Loaded with eggs, tater tots, sausage, and cheese!
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 2 1/2 cups Tater Tot Crowns
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Italian pork sausage (or sweet breakfast sausage)
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half n half
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 whole scallions , diced
- 8 large (10-inch) flour tortillas
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
Cook tater tots according to package directions.
In the meantime, warm olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up into small crumbles with a wooden spoon, until cooked through and no pink remains. Drain off fat; transfer to a bowl. Wipe out the skillet.
Follow these instructions to make your scrambled eggs (which include the half-n-half, kosher salt, and butter.)
IF you are eating these right away and NOT freezing them, you'll want to evenly divide and distribute the ingredients into 8 portions down the center of each tortilla: approximately a scant 1/3 cup of the cooked sausage. Top with 5-6 tater tot crowns, 1/3 cup of the scrambled eggs, 2-3 tablespoons of cheese, and a little sprinkle of scallions.
Fold in opposite sides of each tortilla, then roll snugly from the bottom up. Place seam side down on the prepared baking sheet.
Place into the oven and bake until heated through, about 12-15 minutes.
Let stand 2-3 minutes, then eat and enjoy!
If you ARE freezing these, see the recipe notes (below) for directions.
- If you are freezing these for later, follow directions through step 6, BUT wait for all of your ingredients to be room temperature before assembling your burritos. DO NOT BAKE. Instead, wrap each burrito in tinfoil or plastic wrap, then place onto the baking sheet seam side down, in a single layer. Transfer the baking sheet to the freezer to flash freeze (about an hour), then transfer them to a resealable freezer-safe plastic bag for long-term storage, labeling the bag with the recipe name and date to keep track.
- To reheat: (1) For best results, I recommend thawing in the refrigerator overnight, then bake in a 400 degree F oven for about 25 minutes, flipping over halfway. (2) To reheat directly from the freezer, you can bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for about 35-40 minutes, or (3) place frozen burritos in the microwave on a microwave-safe plate; cover with a paper towel and cook 4-6 minutes, flipping halfway through.
• If using aluminum foil to wrap your burritos, keep the foil on while baking in the oven and then remove it about 5 minutes toward the end. Remove the foil if reheating in the microwave.
• If using plastic wrap to wrap your burritos, remove it before placing in the oven or microwave.
• After reheating, let your burritos stand for 2-3 minutes before eating.
These burritos can be stored in the freezer for 1 month. They will actually keep longer, but the quality will noticeably decrease.
- Half-n-Half is equal parts whole milk and heavy cream.
- FOR FURTHER INSTRUCTION AND TIPS, PLEASE REFER TO THE ENTIRE ARTICLE.
Calories: 502kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 244mg | Sodium: 1015mg | Potassium: 332mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 638IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 280mg | Iron: 4mg