Creamy Cucumber Salad
This Creamy Cucumber Salad is light, refreshing, and absolutely delicious. Perfect to beat the heat in the summertime or all year round as a simple side!
Prep Time10 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 5 small Persian Cucumbers ,thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion ,thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- salt and pepper ,to taste
Set a colander over a large bowl; place the cucumbers, onion, and salt inside the colander and gently toss. Let sit for 30 minutes, allowing liquid to drain.
Rinse and pat dry.
In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, dill, vinegar, sugar, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Add in the cucumber and onion; toss gently to combine and well coated.
Serve right away.
2. I highly recommend using a mandolin to slice your cucumbers and onion. This allows the slices to be thin and uniform.
3. If you're in a hurry (or impatient HA!) and don't want to let them sit for 30 minutes with the salt, you can skip it, but that step really helps extract unwanted moisture in this salad.
4. The flavor from fresh dill is pretty important in this salad, so don’t swap it out for dried dill - it just won’t be as good!
5. You can make this about an hour in advance of serving, but I don’t recommend much more than that. Cucumbers will continue to release liquid, causing the creamy dressing to get watery and also weaken the flavor.
- I use Persian cucumbers when I make this because they are of the "burpless" variety, virtually seedless, have less water, and render smaller rounds. But you can use English cucumbers if you prefer. You can also use the common waxy cucumbers, but I don’t really like their skin in this salad, so I recommend peeling them. If using either English or Waxy, you'll need to adjust the amount needed, since they are both larger than Persian.
Calories: 57kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 132mg | Potassium: 95mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 85IU | Vitamin C: 2.6mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 0.2mg