Make-Ahead Breakfast Enchiladas
This Make-Ahead Breakfast Enchiladas recipe is a super easy and delicious casserole that can be made the night before and baked the next day!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
- 2 cups deli ham , chopped small
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese , divided
- 10 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- salsa, sour cream, and extra green onions or cilantro for serving
Coat a 9×13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Mix together the ham, green onions and 2 cups of the cheese in a medium bowl. Scoop 1/3 cup of the cheese mixture onto each tortilla; roll up and place seam side down in the baking dish.
Whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, salt, and flour. Pour liquid over tortillas. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, preheat oven to 350º F. Bake, covered, for 35 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over enchiladas. Bake for 10 more minutes or until tops are golden brown and the egg mixture is set.
Serve with salsa, sour cream, and additional green onions or cilantro.
- Half-n-half is equal parts heavy cream and milk.
- The purpose of letting this dish sit overnight is so the tortillas and filling can absorb the egg mixture. (They need at least 6 hours to soak.) Plus, it's easy! Overnight casseroles are the best, no?
- For recipe variations and substitutions, please refer to the full article.
- After baking, cool to room temperature and do not top with sour cream or salsa. Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator up to 2 days, tightly covered. They can also be frozen up to 1 month: tightly wrap the entire pan with foil, crimping to seal around the edges to prevent freezer burn.
- These enchiladas can be reheated directly from the refrigerator or freezer in the casserole dish they were baked in. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Keep the foil on the dish and reheat for 20-30 minutes (refrigerated) or 45 minutes (frozen), until the enchiladas are warmed through. Then serve with sour cream and salsa.
- I do not recommend freezing these before they are baked.
Serving: 6servings | Calories: 588kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 197mg | Sodium: 1249mg | Potassium: 337mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 915IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 507mg | Iron: 4mg