Perfect Coconut Macaroons
These Coconut Macaroons are so easy, only requiring 5 simple ingredients. With a moist and chewy inside and toasty outside, they are completely irresistible!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 14 ounces sweetened coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites , room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate morsels , melted (optional)
- 1/3 cup finely ground pistachios (optional)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Set two oven racks near the center of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, stir together coconut flakes, condensed milk, and vanilla until well combined.
In a separate bowl combine the egg whites and salt. Using an electric mixer, beat until stiff peaks form.
Gently fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture until completely combined.
Using a 1 1/2 tablespoon-sized cookie scoop, scoop mixture into balls and place onto prepared cookie sheet, at least 1-2 inches apart. (The mixture will be very sticky! If necessary, it's okay to get your hands a little wet in order to shape the balls.)
Bake for about 23-25 minutes or until tops are just beginning to turn golden brown, rotating pans halfway through. (All ovens run differently, so keep an eye on them!)
Let macaroons cool on the pans for a couple minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
IF you are dipping them in melted chocolate, make sure they are completely cooled. Dip the bottom of each macaroon in the chocolate, followed by the pistachios. Place back on the baking sheet to set. Repeat with remaining macaroons.
- Macaroons are best kept at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 7 days (or uncovered at room temperature for up to 3 days.) They may also be individually wrapped (after baking and cooling completely) and frozen in an airtight container (separating layers with parchment paper) for up to 3 months. Before serving, remove the cookies from the container and let them come to room temperature.
- For tips on making sure these macaroons turn out perfectly, and for recipe variations, please refer to the full article.
Calories: 109kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 85mg | Potassium: 103mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 31IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg