It rained! Yay!
Unless you live in Arizona or Nevada, you’re like, “Ya. So?” But this is great news for California, where rain is almost an anomaly. And without the runoff from snow (that also never happened this past winter), we’re pretty screwed.
The weather forecast here is sort of a joke, too, where the potential for waterfall almost always misses us. Which puts a wrench in my menu planning! I can’t tell you how many times we eat soup when it’s 85 degrees outside, because the meteorologists say it’s going to be overcast and cold. (I swear, it’s like the only job where you can be wrong 75% of the time, and never get fired.)
We pretty much need 13 straight days of rain, and since that’s not going to happen, our governor just imposed a 25% reduction in urban water usage. EEP.
But any rain is good and this past Tuesday the food stars were aligned – they were right! And I was right! And I made this comforting turkey stroganoff while the mushrooms were still fresh. Small victories!
One Pot Turkey Stroganoff
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey meat
- 1 small sweet onion , diced
- 8 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
- salt and pepper
- 1 can (6 ounce) tomato paste
- 1 can (10 ounce) enchilada sauce
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups rotini pasta
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- In a large nonstick skillet warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in the turkey and onion; sauté for about 2 minutes, stirring and breaking up the meat. Add in the mushrooms. Cook for 4 minutes until mushrooms are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the tomato paste and enchilada sauce; mix to combine. Add in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add in pasta; reduce heat to a steady simmer.
- Cook for about 13-14 minutes; until pasta is cooked through, al dente, stirring once or twice to prevent sticking. Season with a little more salt and pepper. Stir in the Greek yogurt until combined.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Other Stroganoff recipes you might like!