A fun and easy Halloween appetizer, these Mummy Hot Dogs are loved by kids and adults alike. With just 2 ingredients, they’re perfect for Halloween parties. Serve with spiderweb sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
Enjoy these with a handful of Monster Munch and Witches Brew to wash it down!
Easy Mummy Dogs Recipe
How cute are these crescent mummy dogs? They are essentially pigs-in-a-blanket with a spooky twist. By simply cutting the crescent roll into strips, you can easily create a mummy look. It’s one extra step and the end result is so fun! I add an egg wash to make the outsides extra golden and crisp but in a pinch, you could skip that if you needed.
These are obviously great for Halloween parties but also make an easy and festive lunch or dinner. They’re perfect when you need something quick before or after an evening of trick-or-treating! You could even turn them into a fun Halloween tradition for the family – put on your favorite Halloween movie and serve these Mummy Dogs with Spider Web Dip, then finish your meal with Hocus Pocus Halloween Cupcakes.
What You’ll Need
These mummy hot dogs are essentially made with just two ingredients – hot dogs and crescent rolls!
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Hot dogs: Any brand or variety of hot dogs will work for this recipe. If you use jumbo dogs, adjust the cooking time.
- Crescent rolls: I used Pillsbury but a generic brand will work too.
- Egg and water: Beaten together to make an egg wash, which makes the crescent dough golden while baking.
- Ketchup and mustard: Used to make the spiderweb sauce for serving.
How to Make Mummy Hot Dogs
These mummy dogs are one of the easiest Halloween food you’ll find. The kids can even help with this one! Here’s a brief summary:
(Scroll below to the complete printable recipe card for all the details.)
- Cut the crescent dough. Unroll the crescent roll down and press on the perforations to seal them together. Use a cookie cutter to cut the dough into 1/4-inch wide strips.
- Assemble the mummy dogs. Wrap the strips around the hot dogs to create the mummy look. You don’t need to cover the hotdog completely as you should leave space for the mummy’s eyes to peek through. Brush the top with an egg wash of egg and water.
- Bake. Bake until golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the eyes. Use a toothpick to place 2 small dots of mustard for the eyes.
- Make the spiderweb sauce. Place ketchup in a small bowl. Add mustard on top in a few circles then use a toothpick to drag it into a web design.
- Serve. Serve the mummy dogs with the sauce and enjoy!
If you want to make mini mummy dogs or add some cheese, here’s how to do it:
- Add cheese. Want to take these up a notch? Add half a slice of American cheese under each hot dog before wrapping the crescent roll around it.
- Make a mini version. Want to make these the perfect bite-size appetizer? Use lil smokies in place of the full-size hot dogs. You’ll end up with the most adorable mummies you’ve ever seen!
How to Store
Crescent mummy dogs are best served right away while the pastry is hot and crispy. If you do have any leftovers, they should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge and eaten within a day or so, as the crescent roll will get soft and soggy. Reheat in the oven until just warmed through, about 5 minutes or so.
What to Serve with Mummy Hot Dogs
I serve these mummy dogs with a side of spiderweb sauce. As mentioned above, it’s simple mustard swirled in ketchup but it adds such a fun element to these already fun hot dogs, so I definitely recommend giving it a try. Even if your spiderweb isn’t perfect, it won’t matter!
If you’re serving these as a meal, French fries or veggie sticks both work as a great side. At parties, these are great next to Monster Munch and Witches Brew to wash it down!
More Fun Halloween Recipes:
- Threaded Spaghetti Hot Dog Bites
- Halloween Brownies
- Hocus Pocus Halloween Cupcakes
- Ghost Toast
- Candy Corn Pretzel Bark
I hope you love this delicious and easy recipe – be sure to give it a review below! Also don’t forget to follow Belly Full on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube!
Mummy Hot Dogs
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 ounces (1 tube) Pillsbury refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- Spiderweb sauce – ketchup and mustard , for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Open your crescent roll package and unroll the dough. Press on the perforations to seal them together, creating 4 rectangles. Then using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut strips about 1/4-inch wide.
- Wrap 2-4 strips around the hot dogs to create the mummy look; place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Whisk egg and water together; brush over tops.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and using a toothpick, place 2 small dots of mustard for the eyes.
- Make the web sauce: Place ketchup in a small white bowl. Carefully squirt mustard on top in a few circles. Use a toothpick to drag out the circles into a web design.
- Serve mummy dogs with the dipping sauce and enjoy!
- TIP! Wrap the pieces of dough around each hot dog creating bandages by stretching the dough slightly and letting it overlap and criss-cross. You don't completely cover the hot dog, leave gaps so it looks like a mummy peeking out from its bandages. See attached pics.