Back to School Lunchbox Ideas that are easy to make and fun to eat!
Disclaimer: objects may appear larger than they actually are. These are meant for ideas, not portion sizes <<<< and yes, this disclaimer is necessary because last year, people were stunned I would give my kids so. much. cheese.
I want 3 things in life.
1. a pool in my backyard.
2. to eat whatever I want and never gain weight.
3. for my kids to not be in such a hurry for recess and actually eat their lunch.
Are these things too much to ask for?! *shakes fists*
Summer is flying by as always and it’s time to start thinking about the dreaded school lunch boxes again.*groan*
I’m always seeing super cute kid bento boxes on Pinterest, and I think “Wow, those are awesome!”, which is immediately followed by me laughing out loud. Because, come on. Who has the time to make those??? Not parents. Well, not parents who don’t have a maid or nanny.
But every year, I do try and come up with some creative, yet realistic, lunch box ideas that will keep my kids seated in the cafeteria five extra minutes, so they don’t come home starving and cranky.
Here’s this year’s creations!
1. Alright. PB&J (or in our case, sun butter and jelly) isn’t a tough sell, I know. So why not just make a regular sandwich? Well, I still think it entices your kid to eat, when you make it fun. Try these – cut crusts off the bread (or don’t), use a rolling pin to make them thin, spread some nut butter and jam of your choice, and roll up. Serve with pretzels and chocolate covered blueberries
2. I’ve said this a million times, and I’ll say it again, kids love food on a stick. Hell, I love food on a stick! Cut up cubes of bread, spread some mayo and/or mustard on one side, thread on skewers with deli ham and colby jack cheese. Serve with crackers and dill pickles.
3. This one is for the slightly more ambitious eater, like my Haley. My popular Greek Summer Pasta Salad…deconstructed. Cooked pasta with some Greek dressing and feta. Serve with summer sausage, cucumbers, and red bell pepper.
Now, if only I could figure out a way to make homework more fun!
NOTE ABOUT THE CONTAINERS: I FOUND THEM AT TARGET. BUT THAT WAS IN JUNE OF 2013. NOT SURE IF THEY STILL HAVE THEM. IF NOT, YOU CAN CHECK AMAZON. GOOD LUCK!