You are only 30 minutes away from the best cornbread recipe! With a golden crust, fluffy crumb, and buttery taste, this will be your go to!
Nothing creates a fury among friends quite like a cornbread recipe, whether being served some to eat or just discussing the topic.
This country is as divided over how people like their cornbread as they are about whether beans belong in chili or not. It mostly comes down to whether you like a sweet cornbread or savory, fluffy or dense. I’m in the fluffy, slightly sweet camp!
Unlike my Creamy Cornbread Casserole, this homemade skillet cornbread recipe is more of a traditional cornbread with a crispy golden crust, fluffy crumb, and wonderful flavor without any mix-ins. It’s made from scratch using one bowl and a cast iron skillet with simple pantry ingredients, and all in just 30 minutes.
The aroma while it bakes and the taste when it’s done is Heaven sent! If you’ve been searching for the perfect easy cornbread recipe, look no further. Really.
Recipe Notes for Skillet Cornbread
- Don’t overmix the batter. Overmixing will result in a dense crumb, instead of tender and fluffy.
- Make sure your skillet is HOT! That crispy, buttery crust is achieved by pouring the batter into a very hot skillet. You can preheat your skillet in the oven or use it to melt the butter on the stovetop (like I do), but either way, you want to hear that sizzle when the batter hits the surface.
- A cast iron skillet is ideal for this cornbread recipe, but all is not lost if you don’t have one! An ovenproof skillet or baking dish will work – just make sure you heat it up first in a hot oven before pouring the batter into it.
- Moist cornbread almost always incorporates some type of soured milk, such as sour cream, yogurt, or buttermilk. Buttermilk is definitely my preferred ingredient and produces the best texture.
What to Serve with Cornbread
My preference for this easy cornbread is to stick with the basics and let the cornmeal and buttermilk shine, but you can definitely add in (up to a 1/2 cup total) of these ingredients:
- Crispy cooked bacon
- Cooked and crumbled chorizo
- Fresh corn kernels
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Diced jalapenos
Other Cornbread Recipes To Try!
Watch the Video for Skillet Cornbread
How To Make This Skillet Cornbread Recipe
Easy Skillet Cornbread
- 1 1/4 cups ground cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs , lightly beaten
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F with rack in the center position.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add in the buttermilk, milk, honey, and eggs; whisk until the batter is smooth and combined. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to prevent browning.
- Transfer all but 1 tablespoon of the melted butter into the batter mixture; whisk to combine, then (make sure the skillet is still hot) pour the batter into the buttered skillet.
- Place skillet into the oven; bake until the center is firm and a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean, 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy with some butter or honey!