Soccer season officially started on Saturday. Well, for us, it really started over a month ago with practices 2x a week. But Saturday was our first game.
Thankfully, it wasn’t blazing hot like the days that preceded it at 107 and 108 degrees. CRAZY. Sacramento laughs in the face of Fall!
I can’t really wrap my head around baked squash and heavy casseroles yet. I mean, we swam last night!
But tacos are year round, amiright? And pretty much my BFF during soccer season. They’re so easy to put together on a whim. And since they’re the one Mexican food that my kids really like, I use them as a back up constantly.
This filling is my new go-to, thanks to Barefeet In The Kitchen!
You could sub in ground turkey for the beef, if you need a healthier option. And use your own homemade taco seasoning, if you prefer. I added onion (always), a little more seasoning, and cut back on the amount of beans (because I actually want my kids to eat it!)
Mary used it on tostadas, but it’s such a great all-purpose filling for tacos, nachos, burritos, or quesadillas, too!
The Best All-Purpose Taco Filling
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small sweet onion , finely diced
- salt and pepper
- 1 packet (1 ounce) taco seasoning (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 cup black beans , rinsed and drained
- 2 cups roughly chopped baby spinach leaves
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add the beef and onion; sauté, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks, until no pink remains, about 3 minutes. Season with a touch of salt and pepper. Drain off fat.
- Return to heat and thoroughly mix in the taco seasoning. Add in the beans and spinach; cook until the spinach wilts and the beans are warmed through.
- Use for tacos, tostadas, nachos, burritos, or quesadillas!