Cheater Korean Beef – this cheater version of Korean BBQ uses ground beef instead of flank steak, making it easier and cheaper, but just as tasty. And ready in 15 minutes!
Oh, you guys!
What if I said I had an absolutely delicious, inexpensive, easy meal for you… that is ready in 15 minutes? That’s the bombdiggity, right?
This. Is. It.
I’ve been serving this one to the family for over a year now, but it always seems to be on a night when we’re rushed and crazed (which, duh, makes sense, since I gravitate toward the crock pot or super easy recipes on those nights…a la 15 minutes), so I never get a chance to take pictures.
BUT last week provided many opportunities (thank you vacation!), so I finally took some shots. Done!
Traditional Korean beef uses skirt or flank steak and sometimes vegetables or cellophane noodles. This version is quicker and cheaper, but just as tasty!
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- salt and pepper
- 3 scallions, chopped
- toasted sesame seeds
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Brown the beef until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Toss in the garlic and cook for another minute. Drain off all the fat.
- Stir in the brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, and chili garlic sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 1-2 more minutes to blend the flavors. Toss in the scallions.
- Serve over hot rice and sprinkle with a few sesame seeds.
This also makes a great filling for lettuce wraps!
slightly adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything
Some other Easy Beef Stir Fry recipes you might like!