This is the BEST chicken salad recipe. It could not be easier or more delicious. With chicken, cranberries, apples, and pecans, it’s wonderful on its own or as a sandwich!
I want to be that person who invented egg salad and chicken salad. I mean, that person deserves a gold medal. Yummy, versatile, classic. How do you make yours?
Even though this particular chicken salad has been floating around for ages, I was only introduced to it a few years ago by my friend, Kary.
We were hanging out at her house and she made it for lunch one day. I was practically mesmerized by all the ingredients she was mixing together. It all seemed so odd…and yet wonderful. I knew immediately how much I would love it.
I always used to make my chicken salad with chicken, mayo, some seasonings, and lettuce. But I realized I had been missing out! I’ve been enjoying it this way regularly ever since.
She just served it on its own, but I really love it as a sandwich.
Either way, absolutely delicious.
Chicken Salad Recipe Variations
There are a ton of variations on this chicken salad, of course.
- You can use canned chicken, baked chicken, or rotisserie chicken.
- Replace the Greek yogurt with sour cream.
- Halved grapes can be added or subbed in for the dried cranberries.
- Try sliced almonds instead of pecans.
- A dash of curry powder gives it a different flavor.
- Toss in a little diced up celery for added crunch.
- Got leftover turkey from Thanksgiving? That would be great in this recipe, too!
I love my ingredient combination that I don’t ever mess with it, but feel free to experiment!
Other classic salad recipes you might like!
Watch the video for this recipe
How To Make this Chicken Salad Recipe
This chicken salad recipe could not be easier or more delicious. With chicken, cranberries, apples, and pecans, it's wonderful on its own or as a sandwich!
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup diced Granny Smith apple
- 10 ounce (1 can) white chunk chicken breast, drained, broken up into pieces
- baby spinach leaves , optional
- 4 croissants or soft dinner rolls , optional
In a medium bowl, mix together the mayo, yogurt, mustard, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Gently fold in the cranberries, pecans, apple, and chicken.
Eat as is or place on sliced croissants with some baby spinach or lettuce.
You can replace the canned chicken with grilled or baked chicken if you desire!