A super simple and easy tomato soup loaded with golden onions and tiny Acini di Pepe pasta, delivering bold wonderful flavor!
Paul and I are both December babies. Only two days apart, actually, with my birth occurring first. So, one more year under our belts and one more year of me teasing how lucky he is to have married an older, experienced, wiser woman.
Also another year where sister Jen hosted an incredible combo birthday brunch for us.
Without fail, there is always something new that I devour and that leaves me pleading for the recipe.
THIS Easy Tomato Soup.
I fell in love immediately, and after three servings, I was so stuffed I barely had room for dessert.
A few things that make this Easy Tomato Soup different from other tomato soups is that the onions cook until golden, and my favorite tiny Acini di Pepe pasta is added. It’s thick, creamy, and luscious.
Truly like no other I have ever had before. It’s so simple and delicious and has become my go-to!
Watch the Video for Tomato Soup
Other soup recipes we love!
- Beef Stroganoff Soup
- Sausage and Tortellini Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup (Panera Copycat)
How To Make This Easy Tomato Soup Recipe
Easy Tomato Soup
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium sweet onions , diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Large pinch of saffron threads (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Acini di Pepe pasta
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a large pot, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes, saffron (if using), and salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, add in the tiny pasta and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, return the soup to a simmer and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Turn off heat, cover the pot and let rest for about 10 minutes (this will allow the pasta to plump up a bit more.)
- Serve hot soup with croutons, crackers, or grilled cheese sandwiches.