You all know I don’t make a habit of entering contests. Too much pressure! Like trying to teach your kids “new” math when you don’t even understand it yourself, or hosting Thanksgiving dinner for your new in-laws when you’ve never made a turkey before, or competing in the Olympics.
Well now…entering a silly recipe contest doesn’t seem like such a big deal anymore. Whew. So, um, I entered one.
The lovely PR people at Smart Balance contacted me…used their seductive writing skills, told me I was one of only 20 to be selected, and made me feel all special. And also mentioned that the winner will receive two trips for 2 to Canyon Ranch – one for me and a companion, and an additional trip to give away to one of my readers. HELLO. Did I mention that Paul and I haven’t had a vacation in…well…never. Never to be exact. No lie.
The challenge was to create an original recipe, which incorporated at least one Smart Balance® product. It was immediately a toss up between their popcorn and milk, since I have a deep love for both. In the end, I went with milk.
But then, what to make? What. To. Make? WHAT TO MAKE!!???
I looked over at the recently purchased box of Ferrero Rocher and thought, “That’s it! A Hazelnut Latte!” (Okay, I didn’t exactly yell it, so maybe the exclamation marks aren’t necessary.)
I’m not a coffee drinker – in fact, I had to call Paul while on a business trip to ask him how to use the coffee maker – but I’m no stranger to Starbucks’ hazelnut latte. I have no idea how they’re actually made, but I do know a latte incorporates milk and coffee. And what better way to get hazelnut flavor than from Nutella, amiright?? (Coffee snobs and Starbucks aficionados, ruuuuuuun! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!)
It was only after I submitted my entry that I realized I probably should have created something uber healthy, since the Smart Balance brand is all about the healthy – no hydrogenated oils, 0g trans fats, gluten-free, and high in Omega-3s. So, let’s just say the Coco Real, whipped cream, and chocolate shavings are optional? (But not really *wink*)
This is so completely absolutely delicious. I might become a coffee drinker yet! Go make up a cup and see. And then head over to Smart Balance and vote. Vooooote!!!
THE CONTEST AND GIVEAWAY
If my recipe receives the most votes, 1 lucky reader (and a companion) has a chance to win a trip to Canyon Ranch, which includes:
(1) Round-trip airfare to Miami Intl. Airport (MIA) from anywhere within the U.S.
(2) Transportation to and from MIA to Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach
(3) Two nights in a one-bedroom suite at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach
(4) A $500 resort credit for spa treatments and dining.
Here’s what you need to do:
(1) “Like” the Smart Balance Facebook page, go to the “Recipe Challenge” box in the top right corner and vote for my Chilled Nutella Latte
(2) Leave a comment on the blog letting me know you voted
…and to increase your chances:
(3) Go “like” Very Culinary on Facebook (or just leave a comment on my wall if you’re already fan)
(4) Tweet this post, tagging @SmartBalance and @veryculinary
The promotion and voting period runs from October 1-November 2.
Chilled Nutella Latte
Prep time: 5 minutes
• 1 cup brewed and cooled strong coffee
• 1 cup + 1 tablespoon Smart Balance® Fat Free Milk and Calcium
• 3 tablespoons Nutella (hazelnut and cocoa spread)
• 2 tablespoons Coco Real (cream of coconut, which comes in a squeeze bottle)
• whipped cream
• chopped hazelnuts
• chocolate shavings
Place Nutella and 1 tablespoon milk in a microwave safe bowl. Warm in the microwave for about 15 seconds, just to loosen up the consistency. Stir to combine.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the coffee, 1 cup of milk, Nutella, and Coco Real. Pour into two glasses and top with a dollop of whipped cream, hazelnuts, and chocolate shavings. Swoon!