Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Foil Packets – an old-fashioned favorite is made easier with a shortcake dessert shell and then prepared into foil packets for a fun camping treat!
Camping fantasy: hike, fish, swim, skip stones, search for the perfect walking stick, star gaze, play flashlight tag, build a campfire, cuddle up and fall asleep listening to crickets.
Camping reality: swat bugs away, search for the first aid kit, wish you had a real bathroom, wake up with a back ache, dream about a shower.
HA. Well, really it’s all of those things.
I think my younger body still wants to go every year. But my older body is like “you’re kidding me, right?”
It’s really the best way for me to unplug, though. And the kids absolutely love it.
We always do the typical hot dogs and s’mores, but this year I’m all about foil packet recipes. They’re so easy to pack, prepare, and cook.
And these Pineapple Upside-Down Cakes. I gave them a trial run. Four times.
- • 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- • 1 pineapple ring
- • 1 maraschino cherry
- • 1 shortcake dessert shell
- • vanilla ice cream for serving, optional
- Tear off a 12x12-inch square of nonstick aluminum foil.
- Mound the brown sugar and butter in the center, followed by the pineapple slice and maraschino cherry. Top with the dessert shell, flat side up.
- Fold in the sides of the foil and seal to form the packet.
- Grill for 12-13 minutes over medium-high heat.
- To serve, flip the cakes over. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.