This Chicken Cacciatore is a simple Italian one pot meal with chicken, mushrooms, peppers, onion, and olives, braised in a tomato and wine sauce.
This recipe was developed by me for Star Fine Foods, whom I have an ongoing relationship with. All opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for helping to support the brands that I love and make Belly Full possible!
Chicken Cacciatore has pretty much been around forever. And there’s also about a gazillion adaptations of it. So much so, that there’s barely any commonality to them, other than they all have braised chicken, and usually include peppers, onions, and tomatoes. At least in the United States, anyway. This doesn’t necessarily hold true in Italy.
Cacciatore means “hunter” in Italian, and referred to “hunter-style” in cuisine. Although one could argue that not many hunters come back from a kill with onions, garlic, and tomatoes. Amiright?
Since anything goes, I thought I’d toss in some olives that STAR sent me. It was a perfect addition! This savory dish is also tangy with a hint of sweetness. And it’s a full meal all cooked in one pan, so clean up is easy. Feel free to serve it over pasta, but I didn’t think it was necessary.
And for all you olive lovers (like me!), check out this great giveaway!
STAR Olives are available at select King Soopers, Ralphs, Smiths, Save Mart, Raley’s, Lucky’s, Food 4 Less, Smart & Final, Food City, Bashas, and Walmart stores and online.
- • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- • 8 small bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- • salt and pepper
- • 8 ounces whole cremini mushrooms, stems removed, quartered
- • 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- • 1 medium carrot, peeled, cut into thin rounds
- • 3 cloves garlic, minced
- • 1/2 cup white wine (or low-sodium chicken broth)
- • 1 can (15 ounce) diced tomatoes with garlic and oregano, undrained
- • 1 heaping cup of small frozen pearl onions
- • 1 teaspoon black pepper
- • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- • 12 STAR Pimiento Stuffed Manzanilla Olives
- • 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Sprinkle chicken with some salt and pepper and add to the hot pan. Cook skin side down for 3 minutes until golden; flip and cook for 3 minutes more. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Add mushrooms, bell pepper, carrot, and garlic to the pan drippings; saute for 4 minutes.
- Add in the wine and allow to evaporate. Stir in the tomatoes, along with their juices, pearl onions, and the pepper. Return chicken to the skillet, nestled in the tomato and vegetable mixture.
- Cover skillet, reduce heat to a gentle simmer, and cook for about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (at least 175 degrees F.)
- Stir in the vinegar and olives; warm through. Season with a pinch more salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the parsley before serving.