Classic beef stroganoff is transformed into a hearty, yet light soup. And no need to cook the noodles first, because it’s all made in one pot. Easy weeknight dinner!
Well, my kids were in shorts again this past weekend. I knew I shouldn’t have traded out their summer clothes for pants and sweaters yet. When will I learn? *throws hands up*
But in that full week of rain and cooler temperatures, I went on a soup binge. Some old. And some new…like this one!
There’s a fantastic beef stroganoff recipe in my cookbook that is from my childhood. I adapted that in combination with a BHG soup that inspired me. It turned out wonderfully. And bonus – it’s all done in one pot! No need to cook the noodles first. Huzzah!
We’re so in-love. I’m making this one all winter long!
- • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- • 1 pound beef sirloin, trimmed of fat, thinly sliced into bite-sized strips
- • salt and pepper
- • 8 ounces sliced crimini mushrooms
- • 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- • 3 cloves garlic, minced
- • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- • 5 cups low-sodium chicken or beef stock
- • 1 1/2 cups dried egg noodles
- • 1/2 cup sour cream
- • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- • chopped fresh parsley
- In a large pot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the meat with some salt and pepper to taste; add to the pot and cook until browned. Using a slotted spoon, transfer meat to a bowl; keep warm.
- Add in the mushrooms, onion, and garlic; saute until the vegetables have softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Pour in the chicken (or beef) stock and bring to a boil. Add in the noodles. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes until al dente.
- In a bowl or large measuring cup, combine the sour cream and flour. Whisk in 1 cup of the hot soup; pour mixture back into the pot. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes to thicken. Add cooked meat back to the pot and heat through. Taste, and adjust seasoning with a little more salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Serve in individual bowls with some fresh chopped parsley.