Loaded with sausage, bacon, potatoes, spinach, and cream, this classic Italian Zuppa Toscana soup and Olive Garden knock-off is pure comfort!
Hey gang! How was your weekend?
Both our kids had away sleepovers Friday night, and we were like “PARTAAAAAY! We’re going to drink. And yell. And walk around naked.” (Ew. I know.) In reality, we just watched a movie and were in bed by 10. So, basically just like every Friday night.
Neither one of them got any sleep. I mean, NONE. Trevor went to bed at 3:30 in the morning. He’s seven. So he was a disaster all day Saturday. And then we handed him off to my sister so we could go enjoy Book of Mormon, which has been planned for months. Ugh. But hey, fantastic show! My face still hurts from laughing so much.
Anyway, it rained. Ad rained. And rained some more. I’m sort of over it. BUT, I know it will end and soon enough it will be 110 degrees outside. So I’m taking advantage by making a lot of soup.
This Olive Garden knock-off is one of my favorites. Loaded with sausage, bacon, potatoes, spinach, and cream, this classic Italian soup is so delicious and pure comfort!
- 3 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups shredded hash brown potatoes
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- Heat a large pot over medium-high; add bacon and cook until crispy, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain off all but one tablespoon of the rendered bacon fat; add sausage and onion to the pot and cook until pork is no longer pink and onion is translucent, crumbling up the pork and stirring frequently, 3-5 minutes. Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Drain excess fat.
- Pour in chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add potatoes; reduce heat to a medium simmer for about 10 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in spinach until it begins to wilt. Return bacon back to the pot and stir in heavy cream until heated through, about 1 more minute. Taste and add season with salt and pepper to taste, if necessary.
- Serve with some crusty bread, if desired.