When you’re a food blogger, you get invited to try out for a lot of television cooking contests.
The kids always say, “You should totally do it, Mom!” (Little do they know that if I actually got selected, which is like a 1/100,000 chance, I’d be gone for months. Haley cried when I was away for 3 days. So, ya…)
But I can certainly handle a virtual challenge!
Sargento® is hosting a “Chopped at Home” contest, following the Chopped model, incorporating specific ingredients into a recipe. Fun, right?
My must haves: Sargento Chef Blends 4 State Cheddar, Kale, Oyster crackers, and bacon.
My additions: onion, eggs, butter, and potatoes.
How can anyone go wrong with those items?
Sargento Chef Blends 4 State Cheddar is cut from blocks of 100% real, natural cheese, and consists of Sharp Wisconsin Cheddar, Sharp Vermont Cheddar, Sharp New York Cheddar, and Mild California Cheddar. Such a great blend, and perfect for this quiche.
I didn’t think I could possibly love anything as much as my sausage quiche, but guys, this is easily a tie.
What recipe would you enter to the Chopped at Home contest featuring Sargento cheese? You could win $10,000! HELLO.
- 1/2 cup oyster crackers
- 3 cups refrigerated Simply Potatoes shredded hash browns
- 4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- salt and pepper
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1/2 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 bunch fresh kale, diced (about 1 cup)
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 3/4 cups shredded Sargento Chef Blends 4 State Cheddar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place crackers in a food processor and pulse until you have fine crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl along with the hash browns and butter; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Press the hash browns into the bottom and up the sides of the plate to form a crust. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- In the meantime, sauté the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes, stirring a few times until crispy. Drain off grease, leaving 1 tablespoon in the pan. Add in onion; sauté for 2 minutes. Add in kale and sauté for 2 minutes more. Season with a dash of salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- In the large bowl you used for the hash browns, whisk together the eggs, cream, and cheese. Season with a dash of salt and pepper. Add in the cooked bacon mixture. Mix to combine.
- Pour mixture on top of the hash brown crust. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until set. Let cool slightly, cut into wedges and serve.
Available in 30 versatile varieties, unique blends and distinct cuts, Sargento Shredded Cheese is always cut from blocks of 100% real, natural cheese. For more inspiration, check out the Sargento Pinterest page Pinterest.com/sargentocheese/ or visit Sargento.com for more information. The Chopped at Home Challenge gives viewers a chance to create their best recipe using the selected basket ingredients, including Sargento Shredded Cheese, for a chance to win $10,000!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento. The opinions and text are all mine.