A no-bake Oreo-crusted silky chocolate mousse pie drizzled with caramel and sprinkled with sea salt. Sublime!
Mental. Abuse. To. Humans.
I struggled with it all through school, and now I get to hate it again with my own kids. It’s a sad state of affairs when you can barely help your third grader with their homework. Common Core is brutal, friends.
But I’m celebrating Pi Day today…ONLY because it’s a fun excuse to make actual pie.
And boy, did I make a pie!
Chocolate, and cream, and caramel together. With an Oreo crust. It’s absolutely sublime.
Don’t skip the sea salt!
A group of researchers has found evidence that those sugar sensors in your intestines are also in your taste buds. That’s why salt added to baked goods (and in this case, salted chocolate and caramel) enhances the sweet taste.
So, there you go. I hate math. But I love science.
And, well, you know how I feel about pie.
- 13 Double Stuffed Oreo cookies
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (about 6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup Dulche de Leche caramel sauce
- sea salt
- Blend the Oreos in a food processor until they are finely ground. Add in the melted butter and blend until well combined. Place the moist crumb mixture into a 9-inch pie plate and press onto the bottom and up the sides evenly (you should have about 1/8 inch all around.) Refrigerate the crust for at least an hour before you fill it.
- In a medium-sized microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate on medium in 30 seconds intervals, mixing each time, until smooth.
- In another medium bowl, whip the cream and sugar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, about 1 minute. Gently mix in the melted chocolate. Pour mixture into your prepared cookie crust and spread evenly. Refrigerate for 4-6 hours. Cut into slices. Sprinkle with a little sea salt. Warm the caramel and drizzle over each slice. Serve and enjoy!
adapted from She Wears Many Hats
Other pie recipes you might like!
French Coconut Pie – Belly Full
Key Lime Pie – Mom On Timeout
Mini Magic Pie Bars – Crazy for Crust