These lasagna rolls are a great twist on traditional lasagna, taking the mess out of it since they’re prepared in individual servings. Noodles are spread with ricotta, Parmesan, spinach, and chicken, rolled up, and finished with a delicious red sauce.
Lasagna. An Italian masterpiece. It’s awesome, right?
And yet, I can count on one hand how many times I’ve made traditional lasagna in my adult life. Seriously. Why? I have no idea.
But I’ve actually lost count on how many times I’ve made these Sausage Lasagna Rolls. This last time I served them, I decided to change up the ingredients for more variety.
The spinach and chicken were a big hit, too. If you want a strictly vegetarian meal, just simply omit the chicken
I’ve come to the conclusion that rolls are more fun than squares. So they get more attention. See, it pays to be fun!
- • extra virgin olive oil
- • 9 lasagna noodles
- • 1 3/4 cups ricotta cheese
- • 1 large egg
- • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- • 1/2 teaspoon salt
- • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- • 1 package (10 ounces) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- • 1 1/2 cups (about 6 ounces) cooked shredded chicken
- • 2 cups traditional or marinara spaghetti sauce, divided
- Bring a large pot of water to boil; throw in a pinch of salt and add your lasagna noodles. Cook until al dente. (After draining, drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil to prevent sticking and drape them over the colander or lay them on a cookie sheet or cutting board.)
- Preheat oven to 375 and spread 1 cup of spaghetti sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, stir together the ricotta, egg, Parmesan, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add in the spinach and chicken; mix until combined.
- Spread a 1/3 cup of the ricotta mixture on each lasagna noodle and roll up in a jelly-roll fashion. Arrange rolls, seam side down, in the baking dish. Top with remaining 1 cup of spaghetti sauce. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with some additional Parmesan, if desired. Serve right away and enjoy!