Almond Butter Banana Bread – A healthy version of banana bread, made with almond butter, honey, and buttermilk. But still absolutely delicious!
I see recipes all the time for pound cake, quick breads, and banana bread. But it’s a real stretch for me to deviate from my A to Z Bread, which is absolutely brilliant and a fail safe. So usually I just keep on turning the pages, so to speak. But this banana bread was different enough that I was immediately interested and willing to give it a shot.
When I took my first bite, I was glad I made it. My second reaction was “this needs sugar.” Keep in mind, that’s my reaction to most things. But then it dawned on me…there’s no sugar in this recipe. Whoopah! Unlike most banana bread, which let’s face it, is cake, this is definitely its healthier sister.
I got over it. We polished off the entire loaf by the next day.
It’s really quite delicious, and perfect for breakfast…
at the table or in the car if when we’re running late for school. Which is always!
- • 1 1/2 cups flour
- • 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- • 1 teaspoon baking powder
- • 1 teaspoon baking soda
- • 1/2 teaspoon salt
- • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- • 1/3 cup almond butter
- • 1/2 cup honey
- • 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium-large bananas)
- • 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- • 1 large egg
- • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- • 2 tablespoons sliced and crumbled almonds
- • 1 1/2 teaspoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Coat a regular sized loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Combine almond butter and honey in a small bowl and heat in the microwave until melted, about 30 seconds. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add in the banana, buttermilk, egg, extracts, and almond butter-honey mixture; stir just until combined.
- Pour batter evenly in the loaf pan; sprinkle almonds and turbinado sugar over the top. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.
- Wrap bread well and store at room temperature up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator up to 4 days. To freeze, wrap tightly in foil or freezer wrap.
slightly adapted from Tutti Dolci